24 abril, 2014

The Princess Diaries

Postado por Camila Rafaela Felippi às 4/24/2014 02:27:00 PM
The books tell the story of Mia Thermopolis, a younger student. She lives with her mother and with her cat Fat Louie. Her best friend is Lilly and Mia loves her brother Michael (but nobody knows). She always writes in her diary (that’s why the title). Sometimes she tells what happened in her day, what homework she has, what she has to study (like Algebra) and what she dreams. What Mia didn’t know was the true about her father’s family: the royalty. Mia, indeed, isn’t a simple student, she is a princess! She is the princess of Genovia! It really changes her life. Her grandmother trained her to be a good princess, teaching good habits, etiquette, way of walking/dressing and she changed her haircut. It was a secret, but one day everybody already knew and Mia started to be famous in the entire world, mainly in her city. During the book Mia and Lilly has some problems and Mia makes a new friend: Tina. Mia, in the middle of one of the books, is girlfriend of a boy she doesn’t love. She only likes him as a friend… After she discovers that Michael also loves her and she broke with the boy. On the end of the year (and in the other book) she travels to Genovia and she doesn't talk to Michael for some months. At the end she meets him and Lilly, they had a good day and they’re very happy.

Mia before (student)                     Mia after (princess)    
Anyway, I read the first four books. In total there are ten books. I bought the fifth, but the post office is having problems with delay. I couldn’t stand my curiosity and I watched the movies (two). Now I'm confused! In the first, tells the story of the tree first books: even when Michael and Mia are together. Until this ok! But, in the second everything changes! Some years have passed... At first Mia is on the plane reading her diary and she thinks "Now Michael and me are good friends." And finally, we don’t hear about "Michael" in the rest of the film. HOW? I really don’t know. 
Mia would be crowned queen, but there was one problem: she had to be married. And she, herself, said: "How will I get married if I never fell in love"? NEVER? AND MICHAEL? WHERE IS MICHAEL? The production of the film, literally, deleted Michael. (Maybe) Do they have problems with the actor? 
Nicholas, Mia and Andrew
Her grandma says that's how the Princepessa’s world works: with arranged marriage. Mia thinks it's ridiculous, but if she doesn’t marry, her family wouldn’t be of royalty anymore and it’s a very big tradition. In honor of his father (he died of cancer) she decides to meet some princes. Lilly surprises her coming to Genovia. Together, they pick through all potential husbands. Mia chooses Andrew Jacoby and they decide to get marry (everything because of the royalty, for him too). But Mia is falling in love for Lord Nicholas: the second in line to win the crown of Genovia (after Mia). The biggest problem is Nicholas’s uncle wants Mia isn’t crowned and he becomes an enemy. Nicholas fights with his uncle and says he doesn’t want to destroy Mia (he loves her) and not "run down" anyone to achieve his dreams. At the end, Mia doesn’t marry Andrew. She makes a speech saying that the law shouldn’t compel the princesses get married to be queens. The parliament agrees and Mia becomes the queen. After, Mia and Nicholas get together.
A scene of the first film (Mia and Michael)
After the disappearance of Michael on the movie I read some spoilers of the book. In the blogs I've visited nobody mentions Nicholas. Mia won’t get with Michael in the end of the book anyway. But this is a big mess! She will get with a third boy, from what I understand. I think the filmmakers invented Nicholas for people like more the movie, because I think if Mia gets with a third boy who appears only in the later books (and he isn’t Nicholas), for me, it will ruin all the books. I don’t know where Meg Cabot was thinking... But I still need to read all the books to write about my possible revolt. I just wanted to read this collection because is the genre of fairy tales, with a happy ending. Can Mia have a happy ending without Michael? I think no.

8 comentários:

Christine on 4/24/2014 5:52 PM disse...

love these kinds of stories, but you are right, it sounds very confusing!

Faye on 4/24/2014 7:13 PM disse...

I have not read these books and I have not seen the movies. Sometimes Hollywood will change things so much that the movies and the books seem like two different stories. I usually prefer the books to the movies.

Lisabella Russo on 4/24/2014 8:55 PM disse...

I saw the movie a long time ago, but haven't read the books. Usually books are better than the movies... I hope there is a happily ever after for Mia, it does seem strange that Michael vanished...

Felicity Grace Terry on 4/25/2014 1:24 PM disse...

Though I've seen the films I've yet to read the books. A favourite with one of my nieces she has a beautiful box set of the novels which I really most borrow sometime.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Though not a big fan of the traditional 'ghost 'story, I scare too easily, one of my favourites recently was Isabel's Skin, my review of which can be found at the below link .....

http://pettywitter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/isabels-skin.html

Nal Pontes on 4/25/2014 10:47 PM disse...

Oi Camila, tudo bem? vim aqui para desejar uma noite maravilhosa.
Este filme não vi e também não li o livro. bjsss

KK on 4/29/2014 1:33 AM disse...

I saw only the first movie, and it was not bad.

sarah on 5/09/2014 8:53 AM disse...

I like happy ending stories,too. This story reminded me "Roman Holiday". The princess left the journalist. But now people's view of life is changing, So.....
Have a nice day!

Unknown on 5/14/2014 10:27 AM disse...

Eu to só no segundo livro então eu nem vou ler o que vc escreveu
AUSHASUHASUHSUASH

Postar um comentário

.

.